Monday, June 18, 2012

June Birchbox

Happy Monday everyone! I'm excited today because after coming home from work I was greeted by my very first Birchbox for the month of June. This month's theme is Jet Set and I think this is a super cute and very appropriate theme. I am excited to get this because I am most likely going on a trip at the end of August {Vegas, baby!!} for my birthday! So I just wanted to do this post and do a review of all the products and basically an overview of what I thought of my very first Birchbox.


My initial reaction was oh how cute is this box!! Love the all pink and when you open the outer box the box that contains all the products is equally as adorable as well as clean, and simple.





Cute right?! So these are the products that I got in my box. First up is the Eyeko London skinny liquid liner.

Eyeko London $15

I already know I will be loving this liquid liner! I used it just to show you guys how it looks on and it applies very easily, even for liquid liner novices like myself. The liner I use now is from elf and it's only $1 and so far I haven't had any issues with it, but this one was just so much smoother to apply and looks great!!

No other eye makeup besides the liner.
Moving right along, next up in the box is from Melvita and it's a rose floral water. I wasn't really sure how I felt about this at first because it kind of reminded me of the smell of my nasal spray {yuck!}, but surprisingly I think it is really light and airy. Not too much and it is explained on the card as a "delicate scent" and I completely agree. Plus I love the fact that this is 100% organic and natural. Working in the medical field I think it is important not to spray super strong scents while working because it isn't for everyone, but after my lunchtime walks I think this would be a great skin refresher.

Melvita $22
Next is theBalm cosmetics stainiac in beauty queen which is a two-in-one lip and cheek stain.

theBalm cosmetics $17
This product is actually pretty cool. I wasn't really sure what to expect because I have never used something like this. I have a picture below of the stain on my lips and cheek. When I first saw the color I was nervous because it was a pretty deep red. The stain on your lips kind of burns at first which I am thinking maybe because it is also a plumper?! 

Stainiac in Beauty Queen

I realize it doesn't come out great on my iPhone
The good thing about this product is that it comes on sheer. On your lips you have to apply 2-3 coats to get a pretty good red color {which isn't coming up in the pic, but I swear it is a really pretty red}. On your cheeks a couple of streaks on your cheek and then I used my ring finger to blend it on the apples of my cheeks. It doesn't come up a ridiculous red which is great and rather it creates a slight flush on your cheeks {again you can't totally tell in my pic above, I apologize}. The only thing I am not sure of with this product is spending $17 for the size, if the full-size is a decent size bigger I could justify that. 

Up next is Yu-Be moisturizing skin cream. 

Yu-Be $16
I kinda had a feeling I wasn't gonna use this product much and I think that's probably true. I really hate the smell of this product. It claims to be the bestselling Japanese cream that heals cracked hands, chapped lips, and other forms of dryness. I really think I can be ok with not using this mainly because of the smell. I may just try it out since I have the sample size on my heels to see if it helps that and I will report back. 

Next up is Band-Aid Cynthia Rowley dress up Band-Aids. I actually was like WTF when I got this because I couldn't believe they had designer Band-Aids, and they are charging $15 for a box of 20. No thanks, I will just use these because I got them in the box, but there is NO way I would spend that much on a box of Band-Aids that will get thrown out after they become ratty. I like my free ones from the hospital, thank you very much. 

Band-Aid $15
I was pretty upset with the Band-Aid item because although I use them I would have preferred a cute nail polish color or something more useful to me, not a $15 box of Band-Aids. Ridiculous.

Anyways, the final item is another bust. They sent me a sample size of John Varvatos star USA which is something that might be found in the Birchbox Men's box. This was kind of dumb to send to me along with the Band-Aids because I would have preferred something that I would have used and now a lucky guy will be getting this. I am sure it smells great, but obviously not for me to review. The card says it is a "blend of ginger, juniper berries, and vetiver." Not even sure if my dad would like this, but I am sure I can find someone to give it to.

John Varvatos $55-70
Well for the most part {besides the dumb Band-Aids and John Varvatos Men's cologne sample} I would say I am pretty satisfied with my Birchbox this month. I am pretty excited for next month's and hope they don't have bust items like this one. But again, very happy with my lip/cheek stain and liquid liner. If you guys don't have Birchbox or have been contemplating getting it I really do suggest it. It is only $10 a month and you don't have to commit to any long term contract. You can use this link to sign up for a monthly Birchbox, www.birchbox.com

Do you subscribe to Birchbox? Are you happy with your box this month, any bust products? 
Leave your thoughts in the comments below!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

  1. We got the same birchbox this month! I had pretty similar feelings on almost everything. I was kinda confused about the spray but I really love it now! Wasn't sure how I'd like the stain but I've used it (so far only on my cheeks) and love it :)

    And yeah, not really a fan of that lotion.

    Love birchbox time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome! Ya I was hoping for a cute polish color or even chubby sticks since they are super popular. I can't wait until next month!!

      Delete
  2. I've gone back and forth on trying birch box. I think it's great because I want to get into some better quality products but at the same time I can't afford better quality products right now so even if I try and like my samples, its like teasing myself. I think I will end up trying it before the summer is out though aha.

    ReplyDelete